Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Take

Hello friends

This last weekend was one of the most exciting of the year. Golf’s Ryder Cup was the highlight; it is a match play event with 12 players from the United States versus 12 players from Europe. Going into the matches I was not that excited about this event because the Euros have won 5 of the last 6 matches and the USA was without Tiger Woods. I was glued to my TV all weekend. It was some of the finest golf I have ever watched. The matches were played in Kentucky and home state players Kenny Perry and J. B. Holmes played well and got the home fans into a frenzy. Boo Weekly was a welcomed surprise, he is a great golfer and can fire up the crowd like no other. The highlight was Weekly on the final day. He was filmed riding his driver "cowboy horse" style down the first fairway. I was really impressed with Anthony Kim; he is a great young player. His Sunday singles match against Sergio Garcia was the best performance for a young golfer in a long time. I see a major in this kid’s future.

The other big event this past weekend was the final game in the 85-year old “ Yankee Stadium.” As a Red Sox fan I have to say that I too felt a little nostalgic because, before every game was televised, only postseason baseball was shown and for most of the time the Yankees were playing in the Stadium. In fact according to Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated 15% of all postseason and 21% of all World Series games were played at the Stadium. I also understand that Yankee Stadium hosted some of the most significant moments in America history beside baseball. Muhammad Ali fought there and Joe Louis beat Max Schmeling there in “38. The game that put the NFL on the map, the NFL Championship game in 1958, the first overtime game in NFL history was played there. Three Popes said mass there, Nelson Mandela gave his first speech, after being released form prison, there in 1990. So much history, I will miss Yankee Stadium for those moments. If those walls could talk, the stories it would tell.

This week’s event I’m looking forward to is the first Presidential debate on Friday or as CNN is calling it “debate night in America.” Should be fun.

Talk to you next time as baseballs postseason gets going.

Good night and good luck.

Jamie Lazaroff

No comments: