Thursday, December 11, 2008

The week in sports and what's to come

Hello everyone

I’M writing this with a head cold and I don’t know how I got it.

This past weekend was the end of the regular season in college football. Florida beat Alabama in the SEC title game to get in the championship game. As one sports writer said “ Tim Tebow willed Florida over Alabama”. Alabama was the better team but when Florida needs him most Tim Tebow stepped up and won the game. The defense also stepped up big. Oklahoma just beat up on Missouri 62 to 21 to set up the meeting with Florida in the national championship game, January 8th in Miami. Texas should be in the championship game because it beat Oklahoma earlier this season; I guess if you score 62 plus points in your last five games of the season, your in. It is not whom you loose to but how much you score that matters. I’M also looking forward to the Fiesta Bowl that has Ohio St. versus Texas on January 5. As I said Texas should be in the title game but I think they are in for a test in Ohio St. I think Ohio St. is underrated. Should be very interesting.

Saturday was the re-airing of the Paralympic Games Special that premiered a few weeks ago. The special sowed the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat but in the end the athlete’s spotlighted are just that athletes. I hope TV networks and cable stations get the point because athletes are athletes and should be covered just like any other sport.

What to watch this week

Saturday is a little light this weekend but I would suggest the Ironman Triathlon World Championships from Hawaii at 2:30 P.M. on NBC. It is a perennial Emmy award winner. Al Trautwig is underrated. He is another announcer who paints pictures with words. This show makes me cry each year, watch the last 15 minutes, your see what I mean!

Saturday night at 9 P.M. on Spike is the live season finale of the UFC Ultimate Fighter realty show for Las Vegas. The winner of the lightweight and light heavyweight final will get a six-figure contract to fight in the UFC. Should be fun, some of the fights in the past have been classics.

Saturday night 10 P.M. on ESPN 2 is the final round of the 2008 National Finals Rodeo from Las Vegas. This is when the World Champions for the year will be crowned.

Sunday is week 15 in the NFL. The Patriots are at the 3-10 Oakland Raiders; kickoff is 4:15 P.M. on CBS. The Pats need to win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Should be fun.

Like I said a little light, Saturday you may go Christmas shopping, but please record the Ironman and watch it Saturday night.
I’II be back next week for a full report. Look for my end of year awards in a few weeks.

Jamie Lazaroff

No comments: