Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The view from here

There’s was no sun on Cape Cod Bay, August 12th , so everyone went to
P-town and I’m in the cottage writing this. I told you I would have big news, and I have. The Founder of Special Olympics, Eunice Kennedy Shiver died Tuesday, August 11th in Hyannis at the age of 88. I met and interviewed Eunice many times; she had great energy and a spirit that was infectious. I would not be writing a blog on the Internet if it weren’t for the confidence I developed because of her organization. As long as her son Tim is at the helm of Special Olympics, Eunice’s dream will live on. Thank you Eunice for all you have done for me and making this a better world for all of us. It’s sad that the Founder of Special Olympics had to die for the organization to get media coverage. Just a thought.

Monday I found a new sport, fishing. I went out fishing in the Bay with my Uncle, my cousins Dave, Payton and Jeff as well as our friend Alec. As an athlete, my definition of sports is the feeling of the excitement of competition whether you are taking part in it being a spectator and the sense of accomplishment win or loose. Before this fishing trip I did not consider fishing a sport but simply a pastime. I have changed my mind. I was sweating as I was fighting that bluefish, I felt proud as that fish came into the boat and then a great since of accomplishment while eating it that night. Besides bluefish we also caught striped bass. Thanks to Captain Buddy and first mate Dennis for a great first vogue that was most enjoyable. The big winner of the day was my 8-year old cousin Peyton who caught the biggest fish of the day. Good job little guy.

Media Watch

The only media story I saw this week was that ESPN is going to present live match coverage of England’s Barclay’s Premier League (BPL) in the U.S. for the 2009-10 Season. ESPN2 will offer fans up to 48 live BPL matches this season, including live presentation of the 12 Monday afternoon (U.S. ET) matches. ESPN2 will feature one match each Saturday at 7:45 a.m. and select Saturday matches at 10 a.m. (when there are no matches at 7:45 a.m.). Very good news, my Saturday mornings are now a lot happier. It’s the little things like this that make me happy.

This Weekend

This weekend’s big event is the Bristol (TN) night race on the NASCAR Sprint Cup series. Bristol Motor Speedway is a ½ mile of fun and has a lot of crashes. There are also two races after this, the chase, (NASCAR’s version of a playoff). The top 12 drivers can change positions and that makes it interesting. The race is Saturday night at 7:30 P.M. on ESPN.
Have a great week.

And that the way it is.

Jamie Lazaroff




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice words on Eunice Kennedy Shriver! You are so right about her...because of her vision and her belief in the potential of all, regardless of intellectual challenges, she made us see and believe in what others felt was impossible. She opened the world up, first by providing an opprtunity for folks with disabilities to showcase their skills on the track, in the swimming pool and on the playing field. Once we began to see abilities in the sports arena, instead of disabilities, the positive attitude carried over into the everyday world and we began to see strengths instead of differences. Due to Eunice's unfailing belief in the possibilities that all of us have, a new movements began for advocating for the rights of people with disabilities. Jamie, you are a great example of this. Special Olympics Connecticut provided you with an opportunity to follow your dreams of getting air time and having a voice in the sportscasting world. They gave you the foundation so that you could spread your wings and the chance to believe in yourself. Now, you have taken that further and are flying on your own! You go dude! But never forget the inspiration began with Eunice's beleif in all and her vehicle- Special Olympics- to spread the word.

Geri

JAMIE said...

thanks Geri for the kind words. I feel the same way.