Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympic Update

We are a few days into the Winter Olympics Games; so let me give you my quick thoughts. Overall NBC is doing a nice job but they could make some changes, like not holding some marquee events for prime time. I know that they have to make choices when they show events happening at the same time but they have other cable networks that are not being used. I guess I have to avoid the Internet for duration of the Olympics.

One thing I don’t like is when they switch from one event to the other. Stay on one event live until we know who wins the Gold medal. If you have to tape the other event then do it. They should always show the words "LIVE" so we know and we don’t have to guess. Most of the time they will flash the word live on screen then take it off after a few seconds. Monday night they showed the words “LIVE” during the Gold medal ceremony for Men’s Moguls. Why can’t they do this for the competition? Also, please limit the commercial breaks. I know this is how NBC makes its money, but give me more than 2 minutes of action at a time.

I’M disappointed and sad at the same time for Al Michaels as daytime host. He looks very nervous in the studio. I hope he gets comfortable as the games go on. In prime time the host Bob Costas can host the games until I die, he is the best in the business in the studio.

Todd Harris is the worst announcer of all times. Thank goodness that Johnny Moseley was very good in his Olympics broadcasting debut. Harris used other announcer’s lines and at the end of the Men’s Moguls he described the winner’s brother, who happens to have cerebral palsy as suffering from. Todd, he was born with it and he is a person who happens to have it. Mr. Harris also stole a call from early in the day. When Johnny Spillane won the USA first medal ever in Nordic Combined, Chad Salmela said, “The medal drought is over!” Todd said the “The Drought is over” when Alexandre Bilodeau won Canada’s first Gold medal ever on home turf. (1976 Summer Games in Montreal and 1988 Winter Games in Calgary no Gold’s) Please use original lines Mr. Harris.

Dan Patrick did a very good job in his role of setting the scene at the mogul’s completion. I hope he continues to doing this through out the games.
Update: He’s not, Tuesday he was back in New York doing his radio show.


I can’t believe more people watched the Winter Olympics on Sunday than the Daytona 500. Why I don’t know, but the Daytona 500 was delayed twice by potholes developing on the track. The Olympics coverage is up nearly 25% for the opening weekend over the 2006 Winter Games in Turin. I think more people are out of work and home and want something compelling to watch so they turn to the Olympics.

Until next time.

Jamie Lazaroff

No comments: