Friday, August 1, 2008

This week in sports

The end of July is typically one of the slowest parts of the year. Except for last Sunday. My cousin Carley Ceppetelli and her best friend Nicole McAleer competed the
New England Danskin Women’s Triathlon at
Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
in Webster MA, and I went to watch. I was very impressed with the whole event; it was very well run and was a professional quality race. I thought it was a town-wide event but found out when I got there that 2,471 women were competing. I did not know the Danskin Women’s Triathlon series was in its 19th consecutive year. This was a sprint distance triathlon of a half-mile swim, 12-mile bike and 2.8 mile run. Carley finished under 2 hours at 1 hour 43 minutes and 11 second coming in at 1471st place. Nicole just beat her at 1 hour 40 minutes and 33 second coming in at 1321st. This was Carley’s first triathlon and Nicole’s second. We are extremely proud of both women. It was very inspirational to see women as many women do there very best to get to the finish line. Carley, her husband David, and Nicole and Lenny McAleer are competing in an Adventure Race in September. The race is held in Douglas, MA. I will certainly be there at the finish line for that race as. Congratulations on this great achievement. YOU GO GIRLS!!!

This Weekend in sports

This is another slow weekend on the sports front. The big event this weekend is ESPN’s “Summer X Games”. This is the 14TH annual action sports showcase that usually turns out to be absolutely crazy. Last year Jake Brown almost died when he fell 45 feet in the skateboard Big Air event. Brown miraculously walked away after this fall. What will happen this year?

Next week is the main event: The Olympics in China. The Opening Ceremony is on 8-8-08 and goes for 16 days of glory. Lot of news will be coming out of theses games, and not just the sports competition but with the games in China and all the issues that might come about, it will be very interesting to follow all of this.

I will be on the beach next week on Cape Cod with my family on vacation, but I will be taking my laptop to give you all a preview of the Olympics. Check out Newsweek this week, they have a very good preview of all the major storylines.

Have a good week, I know I will down on Old Cape Cod

Jamie Lazaroff

No comments: